1. Make sure that you are nice and clean, and wear red colour clothes.
2. Buy a gift (candy, cookies, fruits etc.) for those relatives and friends that you are going to visit.
3. When you see your friends and relatives, the first thing you say to them is "Guey Hay Fat Choy!".
4. You take some fruit and candy from their candy box.
5. Older people give out "red envelopes" to younger people.
For the Chinese, the colour red represents happiness and joy. If you wear red clothes, you bring more happiness and joy to the people around you.
The Chinese buy gifts for friends and relatives to show their respect for them. If you visit them without any gifts, they will consider you as impolite.
"Guey Hay Fat Choy!" means you wish that they have plenty of wealth in the coming year. The Chinese also follow this custom during the New Year.
The Chinese prepare their candy box for their family. Each fruit and candy in the box represents the good luck and good wishes from their family. If you take fruit and candy from the candy box, it means that the luck and wishes have been delivered to you.
Inside the "red envelopes" is some lucky money. The purpose of the older people giving out money to the younger people is to let the younger people buy something that they like on their own or let them save money for the coming year.
BACK TO CHINESE NEW YEAR PAGE