|CODE OF ETHICS|
To obtain membership in the General Access UNIX Group you must agree to abide by the following of ethics:Standards of Service
- We must strive to provide the highest quality service This means ensuring that all software is kept working to high standards and new software will be added to improve operations wherever possible.
- We must aid users to the best of our ability. Speedy response to bug or fault reports and a general willingness to aid users with their problems are required.
- We must endeavour to ensure that each user's data and account are reliably available to them.
- All members of the group must have a suitable level of competence. This is usually verified by sitting a committee-approved test before admission to the group.
- All tutors should have a sufficient degree of competence in the areas in which they tutor.
Use of priviledes
- The prime purpose of the system is to educate users. We must do everything we can to encourage the use of the machine as an educational system independent of mainstream studies.
- We should encourage responsible behaviour in our users. We hope to do this by provider them with sufficient freedom to learn responsible use of the system themselves.
- We must provide opportunities for users to gain computer-related experience which is not available to them elsewhere in the university.
- We must encourage interest in computers by providing an area where many sorts of computing activity are freely allowed. We should make an effort to ensure that people feel free to use the system in the interests of self-education
- We should ensure that we never use our privileged status on the machine in ways that are not in line with the aims of the group. Using this special access to interfere with the operation of the network would be an example of such abuse.
- Privacy of users' data must be ensured, except where it is necessary to use this information in tracking an infringement of the user agreement. Anyone who infringes the privacy of a user will be accountable to the committee for their actions.
- We must ensure that users have access to the appropriate areas and only these areas. Their access must neither be increased or decreased except though the correct procedures.
Infringement of any part of these ethics is considered a serious matter and may cause immediate ejection from the group, removal of access and legal action.
- We must provide an example for users by obeying all the stipulations in the user agreement.
- Action must be taken against illegal or disallowed activity on the system as soon as they become apparent, and must be in accordance with the appropriate procedure.
- We must not encourage any form of illegal or undesirable behaviour. We must set a positive example for our users in our observance of the rules and ethics of our group.
I, the undersigned, will abide by this code of ethics and accept the responsibilities that it entails.